CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Todd Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:49:55 -0600

As an adult Celiac, I would like to caution parents on micro-managing
your children's diet.  My own reactions to gluten typically do not
present for THREE days.  It becomes more of a mystery to determine
exactly what caused the symptoms!

 Keep a diary of the gluten exposures you are POSITIVE about (breads,
cakes, cookies, crackers) and see if you can chart the type and timing of
reactions.  Then you will have a few guidelines for making assumptions
about reactions to "hidden glutens" of vinegars, starches, vegetable
proteins, etc.

 It is very important during these years of growth and development that
we do not overly restrict the already restricted diets of these precious
little ones.  Equally important is  to ensure that our children do not
grow up "afraid" of food, but wise enough to manage their health
themselves.

And don't give up--I am proof positive that even undiagnosed celiacs can
survive--I was not diagnosed until age 28!  You are doing a great job of
providing GF food and educating your children and those around them.
Remember, the long term effect of a great parent-child relationship can
make up for all the gluten in the world!

Danelle Sorensen
Kansas City, KS, USA