CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Crawshaw 320-3298 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:26:38 -0700

Moms and Dads, Bev:

There is definitely a change in three-year-old Evan's behaviour
when he's had gluten accidentally. Keep in mind that he is only
three and a very late talker (not talking much at all yet, possibly
because of celiac disease), but these are common behavioural
reactions for our toddler:

- tantrums and head banging
- refusal of all food
- refusal of touching, including affection and grooming
- limited use of speech, language set back
- depression-like moping
- sleeping or lying on the sofa all day

With the last two "accidents", we knew Evan had ingested gluten
within an hour due to his behaviour changes. Sure enough, diahreah
followed within 24 hours. As a consolation, the fewer and farther
between the accidents are, the shorter and less dramatic his
reaction is, both physically and behaviourally.

Hang in there! Its tough, but our kids do get better.

...Pam