CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Zickel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 18:37:28 -0500

Hi. I'm new & need opinions & advice from people who have been there.

My daughter just turned 3.  She has been sick & fussy from birth.

Constipated too.  Antibiotics constantly.  Ear infections - 2 rounds of
tubes.  We thought she was getting sinus infections - adnoids out, nose
spray.  Finally CATscan revealed it wasn't the sinuses.  Then allergist.
Normal IgE and no reaction to skin test for anything.  On a whim & out of
desperation, I removed milk & wheat from her diet and wa-la - a miracle
cure.  She can tolerate some milk  but 1/3 of a piece of bread will send
her into a tailspin for 36-48hrs.  It's been 2.5 months since gf and I have
a referral to a Pediatric GI - I pushed for it.  I don't know if I should
put her through any more tests because since she is gf she won't test
positive anyway.

Her previous symptoms were pain & behavioral.  We went 7 days without
antibiotics and she was a mess.  Crying, screaming, flailing like a wild
animal, and wet in her pants.  Alternating tylenol & motrin helped a bit.
She couldn't tell me where it hurt - she'd tell me she had bugs in her eyes
& nose, her throat hurt inside her head.  She had a hard time sleeping,
would wake and scream & cry at night.  Never napped. Couldn't focus,
concentrate, see consequences or follow directions.  Never played with toys
or had any attachments but me.  Did mean, terrible, spiteful things when
really sick.  Antibiotics helped - would go 10days on, 3 days off, 10 on, 3
off... but nothing compared to what happened after going gf. She is a
normal 3 yr old now.

My questions - am I crazy or could this be celiac?  Are these reasonable
symptoms?  Could this be an allergy even with the normal IgE?  Should I
still go to the GI or just drop it until she is older?  Why did the
antibiotics help?

Doctors act like I am a pushy mom.  My personal Dr. said my daughter would
be thin & sickly, not healthy looking like she was(except huge dark circles
under eyes).  Since going gf, my daughter has grown inches, foot size and
thinned down.  Used to be husky looking.  I also had chronic ear infections
and many sinus infections & decided to use the same diet as my daughter.
Guess what - I'm cured.  My doctor says tests would do no good, just don't
eat wheat.  I knew that.

It is amazing now - if I tell my daughter something has wheat, she doesn't
want it - cookies, cake, etc.  Since going gf, my husband & I heard for the
1st time - our daughter say spontaneously "I love you".  She couldn't
figure out the PC / mouse and in 2 weeks after gf was playing pre-school
computer games.  She plays baby doll.  I feel like I'm playing doctor &
don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks for your time & sorry this is so long.

Jennifer Zickel