CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Willingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:26:10 -0700

I'll try once more here.  My posts haven't been making it for some reason,
but I've really been enjoying everyone's comments about a gf summer.  Here
were some of my (now outdated!) thoughts on the subject:

"First of all, Debbie, I think it's great that your son has been so
cooperative from the start.  I don't think you should panic too much.  To my
way of thinking, CD offers some valuable life lessons -- the most important
being that you can't always have what you want...and that sometimes what you
want can hurt you.

Restaurant outings needn't be limiting if your son -- and your whole
family -- opens his mind and broadens his culinary horizons a bit.  You can
order half portions of adult meals in a lot of restaurants, and things like
rice and beans or corn, baked or mashed potatoes, pilafs and vegetable
dishes, and grilled meats or chicken are by no means "limiting" and a whole
heck of a lot healthier than the fast food stuff we tend to rely on. If
hamburgers are the preferred fare, it's easy to get them without the bun.
You'll have to check about fries -- some are seasoned or coated and some of
the fast food ones have gluten.  You can always ask the manager -- I loved
the Red Lobster comment about that.

In our home, only my six year has celiac disease, but I typically only fix
one meal for everyone.  Grandmom gives gifts of wheat and gluten free
cookies and pasta and bread now instead of useless toys, and they're really
appreciated.  My son loves rice and beans, although I have to be careful not
to create problems by overusing the rice.  And he loves grilled and baked
meats and poultry, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, lima beans, and
broccoli.  Mexican food is great, because it's largely corn based, and he
loves tacos and enchiladas.  I haven't had any problems with Taco Bell
stuff, although I haven't specifically looked into ingredients.  Maybe
someone has some insights there?

As for dessert stuff, instead of ice cream cones, we do sorbet in a cup.  My
little boy loves his gluten free cookies, which he sometimes gets for
dessert.  If we're out, we bypass dessert just to save ourselves trouble and
worry.  Doing without dessert won't kill anyone in America!

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others have to say about a wheat-free summer!