CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tracey Wolfskill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:56:08 -0400

Hi all!

I usually post to the other list, but Rebecca is right that we need to
share more information on this list.  I tried posting the same message
to both lists one day, but it never went through on the Kids list.  Does
anyone know if that is against some rule?

I will be interested in finding out how others take children out to eat.
So far, we've been too chicken to try!  (Kevin was dianosed about 3
months ago.) But we did go to Disney World, so I thought I would pass
along our dining experiences from there.

Disney is GREAT at their "full service" restaurants.  They don't look at
you strange when you say gluten-free, etc.  But we couldn't afford to
eat at full service restaurants every meal!!  We did a character
breakfast where the chef cooked GF pancakes and Kevin was in hog-heaven.
We also ate at the Biergarten in Epcot and the chef came out and went
over EVERY item on the buffet as to whether it was GF or not.  And then
cooked GF pasta for Kevin and served him some GF bread.  And we ate at
Tony's in MK. They made GF pizza with soy cheese for him.  We spoke to
the chef at each place and they were all really personable not only with
us, but also with Kevin.

We had breakfast in the room and then carried our lunch in the park.
(You're not supposed to do that, but no one ever questioned us or gave us a
hard time.)  We did do french fries at the "counter service" restaurants
since they are fried separate.  The people at the counter service
restaurants weren't nearly as helpful, but what do you expect from a fast
food place.

If any of you plan to go, call the food service director at each park/hotel and
they will discuss with you what is GF and what is not, etc.  They really
were helpful.

Tracey Wolfskill
mom of Kevin 2yo w/Celiac and Brian 6yo w/o Celiac