C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:54:03 EST
In a message dated 02/10/2000 11:17:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
       My housing development back-up to the wildlife preserve Betty is
 speaking off - lots of "wildlife" hang out in my yard and help prune the
 garden - bunnies, deer, raccons, oppsums, snakes frogs, and tons of birds!!
 I am never sure who is more startled when - when we mutaully starle each
 other in the backyard - me or the animals!!

Amber and I have been there a couple of times.  We really enjoyed ourselves
too.  That sort of gave me an idea about building a completely accessible
nature center around here.  It would be for everyone, but we would cater to
children with disabilities.  If I became a wildlife rehabilitator, I could
take in animals who are in a state of need, such as a bird who is injured.
This could be a great learning experience for the children.  All the exhibits
would have accompanying explanations in Braille, and as much as possible
would be "hands on" oriented.  I sign, so we would also have a "built-in"
interpreter.

I keep wondering if Habitat for Humanity would be interested in building a
place like that?  If I could have a small, adjoining place in the back to
live in, I could run the center all the time, and have a place to live too.
The back yard would be a little nature reserve with a butterfly garden,
flower garden, etc., and children could see how an ecosystem is supposed to
work.  We would have volunteers to help though. My Mom thinks they wouldn't
build it (HFH), but I bet they would if approached in the right way.

Local schools could send their classes for field trips, and with all the
accommodations for PWDs in place, they would also get a chance to see how
that works.  The whole thing would be set up so children would have fun
learning about nature.

That's my little dream...