BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
mitch wilds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 19:16:01 -0400
"J. Bryan Blundell" wrote:

> Quiz of the day: What are the dogs smelling when they ID a termite infestation?

Pickle sandwiches.

Alex, my four year old son,  recently "helped" me replace a few porch floor boards.
(Seems I foolishly neglected to use the tarp last winter.)  He informed me he had
found termites under the porch, but I was not to worry since these were friendly
termites and would not eat our house.  According to Alex, friendly termites, which
can be identified by their big heads, do not eat houses but only pickle sandwiches
consisting of "bread, peanut butter, pickles, jelly, salt, and more bread".
Termite sniffing dogs must be sensitive to pickle sandwiches.

Alex, who has a dinosaur friend named Corkey living under his bed and an alligator
friend PJ who lives under the bushes, also has a dog friend Snoopy who occupies our
attic.  I'll check with Alex to see what Snoopy knows about dog smelling termites.

Mitch (for Alex)