BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:43:57 EST
In a message dated 1/20/00 9:34:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> They were operated by a power lever and stopped at the right place by the
operators.

Geese, Don, I don't want to ruin your remembrances. The majority of freight
elevators in NYC continue to be operated by a human attendant using a power
lever etc. They also tend to double as building security. As I remember the
guy in the Pierre had to move a lever... though it may have been a token
lever to impress the upscale clientelle who would NEVER be found in any of
the other buildings where there are human operators. I've never yet heard of
carpal tunnel outbreaks for elevator lever operators. Yesterday on XX
Broadway the operator was using a broomstick to push the buttons, she did not
even need to get off her plush chair. What sort of tips did your guys on
Nassau Street get?

Any body out there got stories of adventures on steam elevators?

][<en