BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:42:24 -0500

Speaking of outhouses, I need to report a recent discovery, as in today.

Got a call regarding a historic district property from folks interested in
redeveloping the property who were only just discovering that it is in a
historic district.  One of the out of the way corners of the district, not
much action there at all.  First time I've gone and stared at this property,
which is a gem: 1893, very high integrity, also very high deterioration.
Will have to see how it all goes; owner in 24 hour care with Alzheimer's,
family has power of attorney, need money for medical care, property zoned
for 30 residential units per acre, looking to max out $$.  Anyway, I
digress....

At the rear of the property is the most lovely bit of remaining integrity,
the outhouse, presently being used to store the louvered blinds from the
house.  It is situated right off the rear corner of the house, next to a
rear door on a historic infill addition, so that one would only have to
expose oneself to the elements for the briefest of moments.  A most rare
phenomenon in this day and age, a remnant urban outhouse.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director      "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                              heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                             -- Elbert Hubbard