BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:48:29 -0600
Marilyn Harper wrote:

>      Dear knowledgable preservationeers--
>
>      I have recently learned that there is at least one company
>      specializing in the salvaging of logs sunk in lakes and selling the
>      waterlogged lumber.  Since the lakes are in the northern states, I
>      assume the lumber is pine, but don't know that for a fact.  The water
>      is fresh.
>
>      Do any of you know what this lumber would be used for and/or what
>      special (presumably desirable) qualities waterlogged lumber would
>      have?
>
>      Marilyn

there are dozens if not more log salvage operations throughout NA & SA- read
once of South american divers w/ hydraulic Chain saws harvest sunken timbers
The wood is used for everything wood is used for except perhaps cordwood &
pulp- especially flooring.

The wood presumably is some of this wood may be in the water for 100-150 or
more years, old growth ie slowgroth tight grained & in many cases the logs are
of much greater diameter than those available now...

This is a whole industry of modern day prospectors & claim jumpers, secretive
swamp journeys and heavy equipment, snakes, chain saws & pickup trucks....
Hmmm... Mid-life crisis... Sabbatical...

There is also a whole german/celt/euro Bog Oak phenom where logs are tossed
into swampy pools evidently so that they will not dry out & start checking
until ready for milling-
Evidently the troll piss, tannin in the peat, minerals etc add some pretty
phenomenal color to the wood...

DD