BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:15:28 -0500
Laura Demko wrote:

> >... and I am wondering where my Mint Julep is! ... Now, if I only had one
> >of those cute little frosty silver cups filled with a sprig of mint
> >and....? Gosh, I can never remember what they put in a Mint Julep...
>
> >-- One Hot Toddy
>
> How about a little Houston help with the heat?  Enjoy!
>
>                                   Mint Juleps
> (Margaret Agnew, Southern Traditions: A Seasonal Cookbook)
>
> 1 cup lightly packed fresh mint sprigs (plus several sprigs for garnish)
> 1-1/2 cups water
> 1 cup sugar
> 1-1/2 gallons crushed ice
> 1-1/2 quarts bourbon
>
> Place 1 cup lightly packed mint sprigs in a heavy saucepan; crush mint with
> fingers or bruise with the back of a spoon.  Add 1-1/2 cups water to
> suacepan; bring mixture to a boil.  Cook, covered, 5 minutes.  Add sugar,
> stirring well; return to a boil.  Cover reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
> Let syrup cool.  Place mint syrup in a small bowl or jar; cover and let
> stand 4 to 6 hours.  Strain mixture, discarding mint and saving syrup.
>
> To serve,

Fill a ball jar 1/2 way w/ bourbon-drink off 1/2 & refill
pour the mint syrup into the sun tea jar-in case your Baptist in-laws show up.
put ice in a dishpan & cover with water.
Place dishpan on floor- place feet in dishpan
Drink bourbon & replenish, as needed, being careful to never let jar get more
than 1/2 empty i.e. 1/4 full-
When math gets too complicated drink directly from bottle.

dd