Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:52:35 GMT
This sounds to me like there is a driver overlay program on it.  With the
drive being this old and of this size, it would stand to reason that it came
with a driver overlay on it.  When drives over 504MB first started coming
out they were pretty common because nobodies BIOS could handle the larger
drives.  If you go to the Seagate web site they should have the overlay
installer utility.  This utility should also un-install the overlay, which
is what I think you need to do to solve your problem.  HTH.

Kyle

>From: G Kaucher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCBUILD] Can't Boot with Hard Drive-"Initialization Error"
>Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:59:24 -0500
>
>I removed a working Seagate 850 MB HDD from an old computer and installed
>it in another old computer (1995) that is using and Award Bios. The BIOS
>has an autodetect ability, and gives me three option; "LBA, NORMAL, and
>LARGE" for the "HDD geometry." It doesn't seem to matter which one I
>choose. After choosing the "geometry" I FDISK the HDD, and make a an active
>primary partition. After that, I do a format (format c: /v /s). Regardless
>of what I do, I still can't seem to boot from the HDD. It goes thru the
>memory test, flips to the "next page" and gives me a message "hit CTRL to
>boot from a floppy" for a short time, and then gives me a message "INIT ERR
>Hit "ENTER" to reboot. I tried installing DOS 6.22 to see if that would
>make any differnce, but it didn't. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
>
>Gary Kaucher

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org