Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:49:37 GMT
Jim,

Windows Protection Error is usually a device driver, virtual device driver,
or setup file type of error.  There are a couple of schools of thought on
how to take care of this.  First would be to uninstall any recently
installed program and reinstall.  My personal opinion would be to get into
the System Device settings and start disabeling devices one by one until the
problem goes away.  When you find the problem device, remove the drivers and
reinstall them.  This can be a tricky problem, and the last time I ran into
it (which just so happens to be Monday) it took me about six hours to track
it down.

In my case, it was a sound card.  I even tried putting in the latest
drivers, and that would not fix it.  I had to use the specific drivers that
came when the device was originally installed.  I thought it was kind of odd
that I could not use updated drivers, but sometimes the final solutions can
seem more like voodoo than logic.  Good luck.

Kyle

>From: Jim Cook <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCBUILD] Windows Protection Error
>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:35:21 -0600
>
>Hello,
>      I have a computer that I built for a customer about 9 months ago.
>Everything has been fine until yesterday when the computer, during boot up
>would show the message "Windows Protection Error, You Need to Restart Your
>Computer".  After restarting, everything would be fine.  I've had it here
>checking it out and it will only have that message every 4 or five boot
>ups, not every boot.  I've checked Microsoft website but there is nothing
>about this message.  Can you help?
>
>Thanks
>Jim Cook

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,