Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bruce Boschek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:35:51 +0100
Brad,

In <[log in to unmask]>,
on 07/26/99
   at 07:56 AM, Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I just got a 21" monitor with BNC inputs and have received advice
>telling me I should use a BNC cable with it for optimum performance.  I
>don't quite understand how using a cable that goes from a standard
>15-pin DSUB (vga) connector on my video card (Matrox G400 MAX) to the
>BNC connectors on the monitor could INCREASE the quality.   If it is
>still going through the DSUB at the card, how can coming out the BNC
>connecters improve the quality?

My 21" EIZO can easily handle 100 kHhz horizontal and 85 Hz vertical
refresh rates at 1600x1280 as delivered by a Matrox G200 graphic card -
with a shielded BNC cable. With the shielded sub-d cable it goes out of
sync and the refresh rates are reduced. I am not an engineer, so I
cannot share anything with you but my own experience. BNC cables are
expensive (I don't know if there are inexpensive ones) and are generally
of a higher quality than sub-d cables. I use BNC on all of my 17"
monitors as well, but it is more important with high resolutions and
high refresh rates. Certainly a G400 MAX deserves one! :-) Someone else
will probably tell you why.

Best wishes,

Bruce

Bruce Boschek - Giessen, Germany