BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"CAUTION: Learning Lurkers Hanging\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:17:04 EST
In a message dated 11/11/1999 9:53:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> the aforementioned El Capote cabin had a puncheon floor that generally
>  conformed to the description given by Terry G. Jordan in Texas Log
Buildings:
>  Folk Architecture.  (University of Texas Press, 1978.  pp. 83-84).

Lisa:

Fabulous explanation. Thanks so much. And what a great question, Kathy --
I've learned a lot. We don't see too many puncheon floors in NJ these days,
unless they are there somewhere, covered by industrial grade lino. But I
wonder where the word "puncheon" come from?

Def. in the AH dictionary first defines the wood member, but a lesser used
meaning is a sharp punching, perforating or stamping tool used by goldsmiths
[ref: roots in Middle English, Old French, Vulgar Latin, from Latin *pungere*
- to prick]. That doesn't seem to fit with the floor idea. But there was a
second definition that was interesting: a cask with a capacity of 84 US
gallons (doesn't specify the period of use). Was this made of wood? Did they
use boards from the cask for flooring? Mmmmm.....

-- Still Wondering