BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Gray, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:07:29 -0400
This here's acommin' ta y'all from the deep, dark piney woods 'a LA (nope
folks that ain't LosAngeles, it'll be Lower Arkansas).  I got me ona 'em
antique houses down this'a way, but the real deal's in LR (that's Little
Rock for you ferigners that ain't from around here).  I dun got aholt 'a me
'a c 1903 Colonial Revival, 5000 sf house to rehab.

On a more serious note, I believe the brick and granite exterior only needs
some minor repointing and spot cleaning, but want all the background I can
get before consulting contractors.  The brick appear to be hard, are smooth
and uniformly shaped, laid in common bond with very thin mortar joints, and
appear to be color washed.  (The surface color of brick and mortar are
basically uniform overall, and I find traces  of what appears to be a red
washcoat in a few places on the gray granite trim.  The wash is not opaque
like paint would be, but not transparent either.)   Can anyone direct me to
research material (especially downloadable) or provide some enlightenment.
BTW there are some other examples of similar masonry treatment on other turn
of the century dwellings in LR.

 I have information on repointing, I need to learn about the brick,
construction and coloring.