From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:23:14 -0700

Hi  Everyone,

I received many great replies to the tinnitus question: Is there a
relationship between tinnitus and celiac disease? Clearly the relationship
is a strong one! Thank you very much!

Not that I have ever heard of but there is a very strong correlation between
Caffeine and tinnitus - my ears used to ring constantly and since I quit
drinking coffee 6 years ago it hardly ever bothers me.
********************
You bet. I have had bouts of tinnitus in the past that were so bad that they
woke me from a deep sleep. When the absorptive ability of the intestine
is compromised (pre-GF diet) and you are not able to get enough amino
acids from the foods that you eat, tinnitus can occur.
********************
Wanted to tell you that I had tinnitus very bad before I went GF. In fact
was looking into finding something that I could put in my ears at night as I
could hardly get to sleep because it was so loud and annoying. A few months
after going GF my tinnitus just seemed to disappear. I only have it once in
awhile now and that is usually when I need to have the wax removed from my
ears. I have to go to the ENT Dr. to have that done as they cannot be
washed out. He has to use a tool to go way down in there and the wax out.
So for me there was definitely a relationship.
********************
I don't know about a gluten connection, but I'm one of the ones who can't
handle milk either. Too much dairy over a period of time starts my ears
ringing. It generally stops a few days after eliminating diary again. I
don't do that experiment much anymore. :-)
********************
Dear Susan:I did not have tinnitis, but I did have a closely related
condition--great pressure in the ear, fainting speels, loss of balance,
nausea. This all cleared up when I went GF. Good luck
********************
There is probably a much larger relationship between those with tinnitus
and those who are older or have listened to loud music, or have worked in a
place with loud noises.
********************
Things to Avoid:

All Loud Sounds. Wear earmuffs or earplugs when using chain saws, guns,
lawn mowers, loud music or power tools. Exposure to loud sounds can make
tinnitus worse.

Aspirin. Aspirin has been known to produce tinnitus or make existing
tinnitus worse.

Caffeine. Caffeine strongly affects the loudness of tinnitus for some
patients. It is a good idea to eliminate all caffeine from your diet for
one month to see whether it has an effect on you. Remember that caffeine is
in :
o       coffee (including decaffeinated)
o       tea
o       cola drinks
o       chocolate and cocoa
Excessive Use of Alcohol. Intoxication can make tinnitus worse, especially
during a hangover.
********************
        Avoid caffeine and smoking
o       Avoid loud noise
o       Avoid medications which can worsen tinnitus (for example, ASA)
o       Stress reduction
********************
The following list of DOs and DON'Ts can help lessen the severity of tinnitus:
o       Avoid exposure to loud sounds and noises.
o       Decrease your intake of salt. Salt impairs blood circulation.
o       Avoid stimulants such as coffee, tea, cola, and tobacco.
o       Exercise daily to improve your circulation.
o       Get adequate rest and avoid fatigue.
o       Stop worrying about the noise. Recognize your head noise as an
annoyance and learn to ignore it as much as possible.
********************
Tinnitus may also be caused by ALLERGY, high or low blood pressure (blood
circulation problems), a tumor, diabetes, thyroid problems, injury to the
head or neck, and a variety of other causes including medications such as
anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants, and aspirin.
If you take aspirin and your ears ring, talk to your doctor about dosage in
relation to your size.
********************
o       1. Avoid stimulants. Caffeine - found in tea, coffee, chocolate &
cola drinks. Nicotine - smoking.
o       2. Consult your medical practitioner if you have increased tinnitus
or tinnitus as side effect of any prescription medications.
o       3. Learn distraction techniques to avoid focussing on the tinnitus.
Furter details throughout this homepage.
o       4. Tinnitus is usually more noticeable at nightime eg. when quiet
in bed. Use relaxation techniques, music or an audiologic clock which
provide masking for distraction.
********************
It is much more difficult to put out a forest fire when the wind is fanning
its flames.

For tinnitus, caffeine, salt in the diet, alcohol, tobacco, stress, and
fatigue all are factors that can by themselves will probably not be able to
initiate tinnitus, but may worsen it. In turn, factors that promote good
health may lessen the severity of tinnitus.

Low salt diet: Choose foods that are low in sodium. You may find this diet
difficult at first, but most people have been able to follow this
recommendation without disturbing the overall flavor of foods. Remember to
read food labels for Sodium Chloride or Salt. The link on Salt Free Life
may prove helpful.

Caffeine:We recommend that you limit your caffeine intake as much as
possible. Caffeine is the most common aggravator of tinnitus because it is
a stimulant and constricts blood flow. If you are a person who must have
their coffee to get started or drink more than three cups per day, then you
should slowly change to decaffeinated coffee. Other products such as
caffeinated colas, tea, and chocolate also have caffeine. Remember,
decaffeinated products still have caffeine, but at lower levels. Remember
to read the labels for caffeine.

Aspirin and NSAIDs can aggravate tinnitus by their effect on the hearing
organ of the inner ear, the cochlea. This usually occurs if they are taken
in higher doses, but may occur in lower doses.

Nicotine:As we all know, nicotine found in tobacco products is highly
addictive. Like caffeine, nicotine constricts the blood flow which is
immediate and can last up to three weeks. If you decide to use a nicotine
patch or gum to help you stop smoking, please tell your doctor. Smoking is
not good for your health or your tinnitus.

Aspirin and NSAIDS: These medications can aggravate tinnitus by their
effect on the hearing organ of the inner ear, the cochlea. This usually
occurs if they are taken in higher doses, but may occur in lower doses. If
you are taking these medications as recommended by your doctor, continue as
instructed. If your tinnitus or hyperacusis are aggravated, then contact
your doctor to discuss a substitute. For people with tinnitus, Tylenol is
better for occasional headaches. Remember to always check the medication
label because many pain relievers have aspirin products in them.

Multivitamins: You may try taking multivitamins as a supplement to your
diet. Please do not take multivitamins if your are taking other vitamin
supplements.

Ginkgo:Take this only if it has been recommended by your doctor and you are
not taking any other multivitamin supplement. It is hypothesized that
gingko improves blood flow and possibly improves nerve function. See the
link to Dr. Nagler's article on Gingko for an extensive discussion of the
pros and cons of this interesting supplement.

Thank you again very much for your replies. I learned a lot and I hope this
message was helpful!

All the best,
Susan