From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:21:35 -0400
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Wally Day wrote:

> There seems to be something of a consensus among
> bodybuilding authors that the optimum is probably
> between 1-2g per KG of bodyweight (approximately .5-1g
> per lb). Funny, I've not read anything that was based
> on LBM.

Among bodybuilders, the difference between LBM and body weight is
rather less than it is for the rest of us!  To keep that "ripped"
look, they try to keep their body fat well under 10%.

In any case, it makes sense to base protein intake on LBM, since
adipose tissue is relatively inert and shouldn't need much
protein for upkeep.

> > that we cannot utilize more than about 35g of
> > protein *at a
> > meal*.
>
> This has also been widely debated. I think the first
> estimate I read about (in my youth) was 20g. at a
> meal, but recently I've read estimates of 50g. I think
> 35 sounds reasonable.

I'm sure there is fluctuation among indivduals on this, but it's
still worth keeping in mind.  Protein utilization is improved if
it is divided into smaller amounts throughout the day.  In
Paleolithic terms, I think of this as representing the use of
small animals, turtles, eggs, fowl, and other similar protein
sources, as opposed to gorging on the carcasses of large animals.
I don't dispute the evidence that the large animals were also
hunted, but without refrigeration the meat would not keep for
long.  It would be shared among the clan, and what could not be
eaten fairly soon would simply spoil.  It makes sense that a
large protein feast should trigger an insulin response similar to
that of a carbohydrate feast.  The large animal carcass presented
an opportunity to store energy against times of scarcity, in the
form of body fat.

> > On the other hand, backpackers know that it
> > can be a
> > challenge to obtain enough calories to maintain
> > strength and
> > bodyweight during a long journey.
>
> Amen to that. I wish I'd had pemmican instead of the
> (gag) dehydrated Lipton dinners many years ago when I
> did a lot of backpacking. It would have made a few of
> my trips a little more enjoyable.

A few years ago, the guy who hiked across Antarctica (I don't
remember the specifics, but he trekked a long way) subsisted
entirely on almond-flavored butter, as this was the most
calorically dense food he could find.  It's a bit short on
protein, but I suppose he calculated that he could accept a
protein shortfall for the duration of the trek, but could not
accept an energy deficit.  I know one backpacker who brings just
peanut butter with some dried fruit mixed in, packed into sealed
plastic bags.  He estimates that he needs about 6,000 calories
per day and this is the most efficient way to bring them.  And he
has told me that some of his friends do in fact make pemmican.

Todd Moody