From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:34:43 +0000
> My copy of Neanderthin is out on loan (it travels
> more than a library book),
> but I believe that Ray considers tomatoes a "new
> world" food and, therefore,
> inappropriate on a paleo diet.  If my memory of
> American history serves,
> early Europeans who came to America considered the
> wild tomato they found to
> be poison; it took a period of farming for the
> tomato to become edible.

Alas, I won't get my copy from BN until fall. But I
took the time to check out tomatoes. I'm still not
convinced they are not paleo, but I have no evidence
they were either.

From Seed of Change Garden:
"Tomatoes originated in Central America. When they
were taken to Europe in the 1500's, people were afraid
to eat them because they belong to the Nightshade
family of plants. Tomatoes did not become widely used
until the early 1800's."

So, apparently they were only *assumed* to be poisonous.