Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:14:51 -0400
For awhile health departments were telling us that wood is bad/plastic
is good. Now there seems to be a change of heart. At the Deli where I
worked they tossed all the wooden cutting boards and replaced them with
plastic. Now that plastic has been in use for several years they are
finding higher bacterial counts with the plastic than they did with
wood. The new word from the State of Maine's health department is to
toss the plastic and replace it with wood and use a soloution of 5%
bleach/water for sanitizing. While waiting for the experts to make up
their minds I've kept using my wooden cutting boards but I do keep one
for meats and one for vegges. If your cutting board is really worn don't
throw it away, have about a quarter inch planed off the top and keep
using it. If the cutting board was two inches to begin with you won't
even notice that little bit missing.

Helen