NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:48:33 -0700
On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:06:45 -0400 Sandra Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Has anyone had any experience with WestSoy products or with
>this type of kosher marking?

We had reactions to EdenSoy when I was first weaning my daughter to soy
milk.  It turned out to be the corn in it and not the soy or any form of
dairy.  I'd suggest carefully checking the label for other potential
ingredients that might be causing problems.  We use the WestSoy plus with
no problems.

>I am also concerned about getting enough fat in his diet with soy
>milk.  I have been told that he needs something with about 8 grams of
>fat per 8 ounce serving.

I've often wondered what the requirements were, but had never seen any
number.  We use Trader Joe's SoyUm which has less fat and protein than
the WestSoy.  I found that with the WestSoy, my daughter was filled up
too much and didn't eat other things.  We went back to a "lighter" soy
milk.  She eats plenty of meat and other protein sources giving her a
balanced diet instead of relying on the soy/milk for too much of it.  I
don't cook low fat, but I do cook healthy (I use olive oil and not lard
:-)  I occasionally let her have things like potato chips and don't worry
about the fat.  We make a Chex Mix type thing that is the normal cereals
that she would eat, but has the added margerine.  There are all sorts of
places that you can tuck in a little extra fat or protein.

Kathy P.