RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 01:22:00 +0100
Hi Sandy,

> <<(3) Could it be, since they are so different, that some nuts have
>      enzyme inhibitors as well, while some don't?
>
>  Thanks  :)
>  Carol>>
>
>   >>
> Yes - especially coconuts- do they have enzyme inhibiters? Do people soak
> coconuts?

Not to my knowledge.

> Also do the list members on the instinctive diet believe we need to soak nuts?
> Isn't the taste testimonial enough as to whether they are healthy?

They taste best when they are ripe and either just about to..or have
already fallen off..the tree. Any other nuts should (according to others
as I don't eat these) be soaked.

> Also are seeds such as sunflower, pumpkin and flax in the same category as
> grains? A case can be made as to the harmfulness of grains but  are these
> seeds harmful as well?

Are not grains also seeds Liza? The purpose of a seed is not to be
chewed and eaten (although merely swallowed in some cases in order to
propagate) and certainly not to be digested. Seeds hence carry
enzyme inhibors for this very purpose. The purpose of a seed is to
grow into a plant..nothing more and nothing less. Seeds are thus not
natural foods for humans.

I can see I'm going have to do another list. ;-)

ENZYME INHIBITORS IN FOODS
--------------------------
        MATERIAL                        ENZYME INHIBITED

Wheat, rye, corn and barley             Amylase
Sweet potato                            Trypsin
Soybean                                 Trypsin and transamidinase
Field bean                              Trypsin
Lima bean,                              Trypsin
Egg white                               Trypsin, chymotrypsin and amylase
Unripe mango, banana and papaya         Peroxidase, amylase and catalase
Potato                                  Trypsin, chymotrypsin and Invertase
Raw wheat germ                          Trypsin
Sunflower seed                          Trypsin
Lettuce seed                            Trypsin
Wheat flour                             Trypsin
Peanut                                  Trypsin, chymotrypsin
Rye                                     Amylase, protease
Corn (sweetcorn) and oats               Trypsin
Raw wheat                               Trypsin and amylase
Rye germ                                Trypsin
Algae (prophyra vulgaris)               Trypsin
Squid liver                             Trypsin
Radish seed                             Trypsin
Whole wheat flour                       Trypsin

People who eat muesli, for example, and believe they are doing
themselves a favour...are actually doing exactly the opposite!

Best regards,

Alan