From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:55:43 -0500
From: Changhsu P. Liu Subject: [PCBUILD] Adaptec Ultra-wide Dual SCSI card
problem

> I just reinstalled Win95b on my Dell Pentium II350 at work. Everything is
> fine except the SCSI. Initially, it did not recognize the SCSI card
> (although it booted fine from the only drive on the machine which is a
> Quatum Viking II ultra-wide SCSI hard drive). After multiple tries (delete
> the question mark, update the driver), it eventually recognized the SCSI
> card. The current problem is: it appears much slower than it was before.
> It's less responsive when I double-click the drive, and it has random
> freeze that I have to wait for something happening in the background to
> finish to regain control over the mouse. (BTW, the mouse is MS
intellimouse
> using the most current drive 2.2 from their web site.) Copy files takes
> much longer. When copying, I basically lose control of the computer. I
used
> to be able to do whatever I do and leave copying to background. I cannot
> find answers from either dell and adaptec. I hope that expert like you can
> give me some suggestions.

I had a Dell PII 300 which I reinstalled Win95b on also.  The motherboard
that my PII came on did not support bus mastering on all of the irq's and I
was told to make sure that the 2940UW was on IRQ 10.  There was a note
included with my computer informing me of this.  Don't know if this is your
problem or not but it might be worth a try.  I did not have a problem though
with Win95b recognizing my card.  This was an all SCSI system.

Mary Wolden

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org