From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 23:19:54 -0500
> Don't Jean Claude and others eat raw aged meat and raw fresh meat? Not a
> flame, just trying to understand the concern. I'm eating raw meat myself

My concerns relate to the processing and handling of meat purchased at the
store. I'm not talking about eating raw meat from a fresh kill. I don't know
enough about bacteria to say whether the risk of food poisoning risk is
greater in eating raw plant food v. raw meat or raw meat v. cooked meat. All
I can be certain about is my own experience. I've eaten raw fruit and
vegetables (especially salad) all my life and have never gotten sick.
Whereas, I've gotten sick several times after eating raw meat--never from
eating cooked meat (this includes rare steak--and I now cook ground beef
lightly but thoroughly). Your questions would best be directed to an expert
on the topic. Perhaps Ray Audette has more information than I (as is usually
the case).

>Regarding EFAs, what about cod liver oil?

The three kinds of fat--saturated, monounsaturated and
polyunsaturated--should ideally be consumed at a ratio of 1:2:1. Further
breaking down the polyunsatures, omega-6 fatty acid to omega-3 fatty acid
ratio should be consumed at a ratio no greater than 4:1--between 2:1 and 1:1
is ideal. (This breakdown was explained to me by Loren Cordain.)

>Regarding EFAs, what about cod liver oil?

Cod liver oil is a rich source of EPA and DHA (omega-3 daughter compounds).
However, it also contains levels of vitamins A and D, which can be toxic if
taken in excess doses. Also, it is difficult to be certain of the quality of
the source from which the oil is derived. These issues make cod liver oil
less attractive as a source of omega-3 fatty acids than fatty cold water
fish. Fish body oil and salmon oil (both available in capsules at health
food stores) are other options.

I recently suggested the DHA supplements offered by GNC in a product called
GoldMinds. The source of the DHA is algae grown in a sterile, laboratory
environment. DHA is a storage form of EPA, meaning your body can synthesize
EPA from DHA. This DHA source provides no risk of vitamin overdose, as it
has no vitamin content. Flaxseed oil is a less efficient plant source of
EFA's.

>And, where do you find emu meat?

There are emu and ostrich farms in different parts of the U.S. The meat of
these birds is lean and more similar to wild game meat than commericially
raised meats. I don't have much info on these meats though. You might want
to try an Internet search.

Troy