From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:41:32 -0700
>Now I am wondering about the British Columbia lamb. Some say it is finished
>off with grains yet others tell me it is strictly grass fed and very
>expensive because of that...?

Here in salt spring  island (BC) where lot of lamb are raised by small
farmers, they all have the "bad habit" to give them grains.
It just make sense economically for them ,they get heavier so more money.
For years i am trying to convince farmers to grassfed only few lambs and
told them i will pay higher price to compensate for the loss in fat. It is
very difficult  to obtain that because for them to get out of their way just
for 1
client, is not worth it. Even friends raising certified organic don't want
to give up the organic feed they give them (expensive grains too). I have
one farmer that supply me, because he have a part of his flock that live up
the mountain  , and it is too much work to feed them , and yet they are
coming from mothers who have been grain fed at one point in their life.
If we want  generation of grass fed animals, we paleo conscious need to
demand it loudly, it is not going to come like that.
If i could buy more lambs and resale it dry to paleoconscious people , i
will have more weight to convince them. I struggle the same way to get beef.
Last day , i tryed ostrich meat ( excellent taste) , they are closed
genetically to the wild ones but they are fed with commercial pellets,
depressing!
To raised organic" original food " fed animals, it require from our part the
willingness to pay the real price .
The market of organic animals products is booming because more peoples are
asking for it  now , but "original food "fed is not in the air yet.
jean-claude