From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:51:07 -0600
> >This brings up the question of, how do you define low carb?
> >Is it under 20 grams a day? I know I am much lower carb than SAD, but not
> >under 20 grams.
> >Does anyone know the definition of low carb, or is there one?

"Protein Power" (Eades & Eades) recommends 30 grams 'effective' carbohydrate:
this is carbohydrate minus fiber, per day for people who want to lose weight.

high-carb vs. low-carb: Lynnet's 30,000 foot view.

You can lose weight either by going low-fat high-carb, or by high-fat low-carb.
You can't do both low-carb and low-fat (because that gives you either too much
protein, a strain on kidneys and liver, or starvation).

High-fat low-carb works especially well for people with overreactive insulin
("diabetes in the family"), who have been subject to blood sugar crashes.
Also termed by some people 'fast burners'.  They become famished on low-fat
diets and start eating everything in sight (that's me!).

Other people ('slow burners') seem to get sludgey on high-fat, and feel really
good on high-carb.

You can do either of the realistic choices as paleo diets; high-carbers would
eat more fruit and root vegetables and lean game meats, low-carbers would eat
more fatty meat, nuts and olive oil.

So the question  isn't whether low-carb or high-carb is best, but which one is
best
for *you*.

Lynnet