From:
"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 12:11:42 EDT
In a message dated 09/05/1999 6:58:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> "Anna L. Abrante" wrote:
>  > how is it that *we* *burn* meat, but HG's don't?
>  How did this become us vs. them? I think I was just talking about
>  a possible explanation of why meat eaters in modern time would (in
>  studies) have a higher correlation with colon cancer. Meat being one
>  of those foods that gets burned more often than other foods might be
>  a possible explanation for the link.
>
>  Ilya
>  PS Btw, why all the sarcasm?

One of the things that bothers me most about these lists is how
people read into what is written. The written word has NO INFLECTION.
When we make an emphasis, it is just that, an emphasis.
There is no such thing as sarcasm in the normally written word.
There are sarcastic words, like expletives, and words that are directly
meant to insult, like offensive names. But I don't ever use those.  I
particularly didn't use any here.

If anyone ever reads sarcasm in writing that does not contain
expletives or insults, it is because they want to. And it's
more of a reflection on them and their mood, than what is
written.

Maybe you
can re-read my post with a bit of a change in attitude, like a
smile on your face.  Then you'll know what mood I was in
when I wrote it. (sincere suggestion)..I am a bit curious
as to why you would *want* (intentional emphasis) to read it
as sarcastic.  Could you not see the value in the question?

 I'm sorry that you suffered the sting of
imagined sarcasm. But I don't see anything in my post that is
sarcastic.  The words I emphasized are that way to differentiate
them from one another in comparison,,for example,,,I will write
it again..."how is it that *we* (modern society types as opposed to
hunter gatherers) *burn* (as opposed to cooking it correctly and
healthfully) meat, and hunter gatherers don't?"  Don't they ever
leave meat on the spit too long by accident?..Don't some of them
enjoy the taste of their meat well done?..and if so, why don't
they suffer the diseases we do here?..I even went so far as to
accept your comment about the antioxidants as being an
effective defense..this is a serious
question I am asking....no emotion here..no sarcasm....

And as for the "us vs. them" thing.....huh?  What are you
talking about?  The only us/them thing I see, is for the use of
comparison,,,which obviously is what we do here every day on
this list by comparing our diets with those of HG's....what
other us vs them thing can there be?

I am genuinely puzzled.   ,':-o

Anna