Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:14:50 -0400
"Anna L. Abrante" wrote:
> Aside from the issues of controlled fire being older than we thought,
> so cooking meat might be very very old.....
I would assume that regular consumption of burned meat was much more
rare among our ancestors than among us. My message was there simply
to suggest a possible explanation of increase in cancer of the colon
among high meat consumers.

> don't we have HG cultures that cook meat over open flame,,and yet
> don't get colon cancers?  Has charred meat actually been
> shown to cause it, regardless of the daily diet used?,,,
> I've heard all the propoganda about the
> burned fat changing in structure so as to be carcinogenic, but I am
> wondering how true that is, since HG do it too and don't get sick.
I seem to remember seeing studies that show burned food being carcinogenic.
The best I can remember I saw some references to that in the 'Life
Extension' book, but not sure. Also remember that high intakes of
various vitamins and other nutrients can significantly reduce that
effect.  Again, this is a vague recollection and not meant to be
anything definitive.

Ilya