From:
Louise Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:54:38 -0500
At 06:50 AM 8/29/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Paul,
>
>How do you prepare brain?
>
>Mary

Hi, Mary!

Mind if I pop in?

I just had some cow brains for breakfast!

At first, I tried to eat it raw, but I couldn't stomach it. Too gelatinous.

Next, I tried frying it with a little olive oil and salt. I kept trying to
eat it along the way, hoping to cook it as little as possible, but couldn't
eat it until it was quite browned. It was pretty good! It had a little bit
of a "fish" taste to it.

This morning, I tried a version of Sally Fallon's recipe "Brain Omelette",
in her book, "Nourishing Traditions" (p290). She also offers "Brains in
Wine Sauce " and "Sauteed Brains". She also gives some detail on how to
prepare brains, (soak in vinegar water and flatten overnight) although I
didn't do that.

I fried the brains in butter* this time, and sliced some onions in with a
bit of garlic and salt. Then I added two eggs when it was almost all
browned and stirred gently until the eggs just set. It was very tasty! I
really enjoyed it! (Sally said it helps to disguise the brains to cook them
with eggs- "designed for the squeamish"!)

* yes, I know butter is not Paleo, but  the brains are like tofu in that
they absorb flavors very readily. It improved the taste dramatically, and
since my goal was to ingest them in some enjoyable way, I compromised.

So, do try them, and if you come up with something better, please let me know!

Good luck!

Louise