"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:23:12 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/99 9:39:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I disagree, The Jewish dietary laws
>  had everything to do with health.  Pig
>  meet can have all kinds of nastier in it.
>  Now we cook it well so that is not a problem.

When there are no refrigerators and antibiotics, pig is
not healthy.  That was a time specific rule that made
sense.  But not anymore.

>  The Friday fish also promotes good health

My understanding of this rule, is that the Catholic
Church made it.  It's not in the bible like that, from what I
understand...and the church created it as a fiscal
decision..although I've never researched it..I've been
told by very religious people that it was to find a use
for an abundance of fish that were going to waste,
and to get people to stop eating so much meat, since
that was so expensive at the time.  They used the
bible as a backdrop for their idea.  That's not the
first time someone has used words in the bible towards
their own ends. But if anyone has any actual historical
knowledge about this, I would be interested in hearing
about it.

>  There was also a spiritual side....
>  Pigs were eaten at some of the heathen feasts
>  and religious festivals.  By prohibiting Pig
>  meat it kept the Israelites separate from the
>  other religions.
>
>  R. Keene

I can see why the new testament would loosen
restrictions on food.  Any seperatist religious behavior
leads to war in the name of god. Because of a sense
of superiority of those following what they think are
gods laws. This has been true since time immemorial.