From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:28:33 -0500
>I am new to this WOE and am wondering what kinds of
>foods to avoid other than dairy and grains, especially
>if I am trying to lose weight.  I tend to eat lots of
>fruits (apples, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon,
>plums, grapes, kiwi, oranges, grapefruit, bananas...)
>Are these okay since they are very sweet?  I would
>appreciate any input.

    For many people, the benefits of this WOE are obtained in part because
their diet is usually low in carbohydrates. Whether or not you want your own
diet to be low in carbs is a matter of preference and your personal response
to the foods you eat.

    If you do want to keep your carb intake down, minimize grape, pear,
banana, apple, cherry, and pineapple consumption, as these foods are
relatively carb-dense (over 20g for a typical serving). Canteloupe and
honeydew aren't actually that high in carbs, but most people will eat half
of one at a sitting, in which case you're getting >20g at a time (nothing
magical about this number, of course, it just represents the high end of how
many carbs you get from fruit). Canteloupe is packed with micronutrients, by
the way, so if carbs aren't a big concern, keep eating them!
    The following fruits are towards the lower end of the carb spectrum,
having roughly 10g of carbs per serving:
Strawberries (1 cup)
Watermelon (1 cup)
Apricots (3)
Peach (1)