PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kirsten Emmott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 20:51:44 -0700
This meat formula might be Cho-Free, if they still make it: or perhaps
Nutramigen, an amino-acid based formular.  Better than either, though, and
very much cheaper, would be mother's milk, which just about all babies can
tolerate.  Very severely allergic babies sometimes miraculously gain weight
on donated milk.  Call the nearest big hospital and see if they have access
to a human milk bank; or contact the local La Leche League for local
donors.  I once set up a human milk bank in Victoria, BC.  The Vancouver
bank sent over a couple of weeks' worth of donated milk for my little
patient, who weighed only ten pounds at five months of age.  So many
mothers in Victoria donated their extra milk, which the hospital lab agreed
to store in their freezer, that the baby doubled its weight in a month.
Eventually she tolerated cow milk once again.  She started sleeping through
the night on the third day  of donor milk and sat up for the first time
within a week.
        Tactfully suggest to your grandson's mom that she breastfeed her next.
Incidentally, if she really wants to, she can relactate, even at 3 months.
The La Leche League can help her.  She'll need a Medela  nursing
supplementer, which she uses to feed donor milk or formulaa while the baby
is at her breast.  It takes about ten days.  Babies usually cooperate
pretty well.

Dr. K. Emmott