CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Shelton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:01:27 -0500
I would like to introduce myself to the list. My name is Susan Carr
Shelton and I became interested in Noam Chomsky after hearing the tail
end of a speech of his on C-Span. I had heard of Chomsky off and on over
the years, in undergrad school as a English lit major and years later as
a grad student in Communication Theory, I learned of his contributions
to linguistics but that then he sort of drifted away from linguistics, I
got the impression that his really serious academic work had been done
when he was young and that all of the promise had been subsumed by other
interests. I have continued to be a great general reader over the years,
have been working in the social work field for the past ten years, and
since I have consistently loathed the study of linguistics, have not
heard or ran across a single mention of Chomsky until that C-span
program. I was intrigued by the bits of what I heard and decided to see
if I could use the net to learn more. I will no doubt be lurking for
awhile, but would appreciate some recommended reading.

Susan Carr Shelton