CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:25:43 -0800
At 1:46 PM -0500 3/3/02, D. Simmons wrote:

>  Do you meet a lot of "poor starving third-world wretch(s)" while flying?
>Are they riding couch or are they up front with you? Hah! Hah!:-)

Oh, they don't usually fly 1st class, I grant you.

>  Here's an idea. Why not agitate for giving them all Tasmanian citizenship
>so that they can join you in consuming an 'unfair' amount of the world's
>resources? Thanks. Humor is good.

Most of them don't want to live here. The Tasmanian government tried to convince a lot of the Kosovo refugees to stay here (they accommodated just out of Hobart during that war in an old army barracks) but only a handful seemed interested.

What people want of course is to be able to live a dignified life in their own country.

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas