CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Robert G. Grimes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:03:22 -0400
Tresy and others,

Recently a friend asked me if I wanted two places at a table she had purchased at
the annual Planned Parenthood - Women's History Month Celebration and awards
dinner that was meeting here.  I hadn't been to one of these meetings in a coon's
age and my wife agreed to it, so I said yes.  Well, first, because I hadn't seen
a program, I didn't know who was on the program and it was a real thrill.  The
awards were being given to old, close, friends and, while having cocktails prior
to dinner, I met people who I hadn't seen in a long time, good old friends.  I
felt like I knew about  75% of the audience there.

But first, on the way into the hotel, we drove up and discovered about 100
people, fifty to a side, lining the road, holding up signs saying "Abortion is
Murder," etc., and protesting those of us who were attending the dinner.  I
hadn't been "protested" previously so it was a new experience.  Fortunately, the
people were cheery and so were we, as we smiled broadly, and we slowed to turn in
and drive by them.  After reading the signs I realized that I was finally being
picketed.

After meeting all of my old friends and going in to dinner I found that the
honored speaker was Sarah Weddington, the attorney who argued the winning case of
Roe vs Wade back in 1973 when she was twenty-six years old!  Now that is some
achievement in my book...  Then, to make matters even better and the evening more
enjoyable, she mentioned that Ann Richards had worked in her law office and was
an old friend.  Of course, Ann is the ex Governor that George W. beat to become
governor of Texas.  Then she mentioned another old Texas gal whom I admire, Molly
Ivens, the famous columnist who has recently turned out a book entitled: "The
Shrub:  The Short Political Career of George W. Bush."  Well, the appellation
"The Shrub" apparently stuck pretty well because ever since that book was
announced I've heard him referred to in that fashion.

And that brought back old memories of George W's father and when I first met
him.  I was with one of our Corporation's companies in Waco, Texas, when I
received a call from another business man there who told me that George Bush, the
Houston Congressman, was passing through and was willing to speak to the local
businessmen on current business legislation, etc., in Washington.  I knew of the
congressman and that he had moved from New England down to Texas and entered the
oil business (Zapata).  Well, this turned out to be a regular thing during the
coming years.  This day we went to a science theater at Baylor University, about
a hundred businessmen, and awaited the congressman.  I heard a rustle, look back
over my shoulder and saw the congressman enter with his usual entourage which was
met by the "local" entourage.  There is always someone whispering in the
congressman's ear, telling  him the names of important people, tips on who were
there, etc., while the congressman took off his coat, turned up his sleeves, ala
Jack Kennedy, and awaited his introduction.  Well, when they introduced him and
turned to greet him, he ran down the side of the large room and up to the stage
and literally jumped up to the dias.  Gosh, I was impressed with the vitality and
youthfulness of such an entrance (even if I was a yellow dog Democrat) so I
quickly made a note of "The George Bush Entrance," just as I might note the punch
line of a good joke so as to remember it when I was to next make a speech.  Well,
this was the start of an interesting period and string of events.

The next time I was introduced to speak was to an audience of about 1400 people
in the grand ball room of the largest hotel in Houston (no longer there).  I was
at the back of the room when they called my name and so I made "The George Bush
Entrance" as I had planned.  Well, it was a long way to the stage and it was very
high up.  When I got to the podium and the microphone, I realized my opportunity
and hung my head and panted, "That was my - pant - George Bush - pant -
entrance.  The last time - pant - that I saw George Bush introduced - pant - he
ran to the podium and I was so impressed that I vowed to copy him and do the same
thing (pant - pant - breathless), etc.  But that entrance might be O.K. for a
young, energetic congressman but not such a good idea for an old, gray headed,
underwriter, pant, pant, breathless again."  Well, the joke went over well and
everyone laughed and then I asked the question, " How many of you know who George
Bush is?"   I was astounded.  Only about a dozen hands went up!  I announced that
he was a local congressman from Houston (we had folks there from Houston), etc.

Well, that joking entrance, done the same way, became a habitual entrance for me
at two to three speeches I made each year to brand new insurance agents who had
joined our company.  None of the new folks had heard me speak so it never got old
and so I repeated it for the laugh when I appeared out of breath from my running
jump up to the stage.  Each time I would follow up the story and with asking them
how many knew who George Bush was...  The agency training men and officers knew
what was coming and they, too, became fascinated at the response when I asked
that question.  The reason was that I did that, year after year, when George Bush
went through those successive offices of being chairman of the Republican
National Committee, Ambassador to the United Nations, Ambassador to China,
Director of the CIA, Vice President, and finally, President of the United
States.  I wish I could say that everyone knew who he was early on but, no, only
when he became President did we finally commence getting a show of hands from
about fifty percent of the people present!  It was absolutely amazing.  He was
one of those people whom people didn't remember, as he didn't impress them or
something!  It became almost a game with those of us who knew what was coming.
It was always met with laughter when I did my joke and acted like I was out of
breath, etc.  But we were always amazed that hardly anyone ever recognized who
George Bush was when I mentioned his name.  Of course, after the question, I
would enumerate as many of the offices he held that I could remember at the time
and the list got longer and longer.

Well, that is my George Bush story as it finally worked out, historically, and I
cannot wait to see how I must modify it after "The Shrub" runs for the
presidency!

Cordially,

Bob

--
Bob Grimes

http://members.aol.com/bob5266/
http://pages.hotbot.com/edu/bobinjax/
http://www.phonefree.com/Scripts/cgiParse.exe?sID=28788
Jacksonville, Florida
[log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]

Man is not in control, but the man who knows he is not in control is more
in control...

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore....."