CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
frank scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:21:02 +0000
Subject: CDCD: Gore/Humor
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 23:01:50 -0700
From: sharon <[log in to unmask]>

Riot Erupts At Philosophy Conference

NEW YORK, NY - This year's annual meeting of the American Philosophical
Association was marred by violence.

Apparently a riot erupted when APA president, Jacques De Sarte,
introduced a
new spin on an age old question. De Sarte was presenting a paper on
'Unsolvable Inquiries' when he claimed that "Mankind will never know the
answer to the question 'If Al Gore were alone in a forest, would there
be a
noise if he fell over?'"

During the question and answer time, some philosophers began debating De
Sarte's question. Sides were quickly drawn. Tempers flared as some
strongly
claimed that a noise would be generated by Gore's fall while others
vehemently protested that there would be no noise. As the debate
continued,
some philosophers began hurling insults. It wasn't too much longer
before
food, fists and center pieces were flying. Police broke up the brawl
just as
one philosopher was preparing to set fire to the banquet hall.

Later De Sarte said, "It is unfortunate that our members resorted to
violence
in an effort to solve this puzzle. I, however, stand by my original
position
that we will never know the answer to the Al Gore question."