CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Per-Anders Svärd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:38:46 +0200
Hello!

Last night (on swedish public service TV) I heard a british military expert criticising the Kosovo bombings. His point, which I find a valid one, was that NATO could have, and should have, anticipated the current atrocities. Why? Since NATO have been reluctant to go in with ground troops, there is no one there to stop the serbian death-squads operating in Kosovo. To be sure, NATO has complete control of the air, but that doesn't stop ethnic cleansing on the ground where the serbs are in control. The serbs, being constantly bombed and unable to strike back in air combat, instead strike at the only enemy they can get to - the Kosovor Albanians. Any military commander could have foreseen this development, the british expert said. The same point has (for your information) been made by a number of swedish commentators, ranging from the military to academic experts on the Balkan peninsula.

/Per-Anders Svärd
(...oh yeah, I'm a student from Stockholm, Sweden, by the way...)