Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:28:03 -0400
7bit
From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Edna,

First of all, your friend may be walking a fine line, unless s/he has a
second OEM license for Win98.  I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the consensus
of opinion is that as long as both PCs are never on at the same time, you
are okay.... BUT since this is an OEM license I think the rules change.

Anyway....

Are you sure your friend waited long enough?  I have seen systems take 4-5
minutes to complete that last reboot at the end of an install.  If that's
not the problem....

Have your friend do a step by step boot and create a bootlog.  Hopefully,
this will highlight/isolate where the problem lies.  The bootlog will end up
as C:\BOOTLOG.TXT, which can be accessed and read by using any boot floppy.

When the PC first starts up, press the F8 key AS SOON AS you see "Starting
Windows....."  You only have 2-3 seconds to do this, so have your finger on
the key and be ready.  Now you will see a menu of options.  Select the
option # 5.

Now press Y (for yes) to each question ---- UNTIL it asks to start Windows,
at that point press N for No.

If there were problems reported, then you need to fix them now and start all
over.

If there were no problems, you should now be sitting at the DOS prompt.
Type in WIN /B and press enter.  This will create the bootlog.txt file.  It
won't fix anything, but it should document what went wrong.  Just reboot
using a DOS floppy and view the text file.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====