Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:56:08 GMT
From:

>    > >    Does the Price Pottenger Foundation recommend raw dairy?
>    >
>    > Who cares?
>
>    The person who asked the question cares.

The point being that person who asked, asked in the wrong place.

>    > Dairy is for infants, animal or human.
>
>    Since milk is in the stomach of young animals, and many HGs eat
>    the stomach contents of their prey, it follows that dairy, in
>    this form at least, has been available to humans for a long time.
>    I've yet to see an argument that they *didn't* eat it.

One of the tenets of logic is that one can never prove that something
did not occur; rather one must use specific evidence to support an
hypothesis about something that did.

And dairy from the stomaches of prehistoric animals is not available
to anyone today, HG or not.

>    How many calories' worth of oregano do you suppose HGs ate in the
>    course of a year?  How much dill weed?  Indeed, why would they
>    bother gathering these things at all, given their extremely low
>    caloric density?

Because they might have liked the flavor, and most herbs are harmless...
unlike dairy, which is not harmless in quantity or when eaten regularly.
There is plenty of evidence for this if one cares to investigate.

>    So, while I grant that adult human exposure to dairy was probably
>    intermittent, not constant,

...coinciding in nature with the spring birthing and lactation season
of the animal in question. Excluding the manufacture and storage of
curds/cheese, there is no way dairy could have been eaten year-round.
But then that's the product of an agricultural/industrial activity and
therefore not Paleo.

> I submit that exactly the same thing
>    is true for a wide variety of other foods that we currently
>    accept as "paleo."

No. Dairy is different, especially in the light of biochemical findings
about its unsuitability as a long-term human food source.

>    > Each milk is designed for a single species.
>
>    What is the principle here? That we should eat only foods that
>    were designed for us?  Does that include meat?

On the contrary, humans were evidently designed around meat and other
foods of the neolithic era.

>    > Milk-drinking is the pinnacle of neoteny.
>
>    Perhaps.  Have we declared war on neoteny?

In a sense, because adherence to an such an infantile food source,
especially one that is demonstrably unhealthful, can only be sustained
through Neolithic technology. And one could make the case that another's
irrational defense of adult dairy consumption, paleolithic or not,
in the light of modern evidence against it and zero archeological
evidence as well, smacks of infantilism/neoteny itself.

>    > Dairy is one of the curses of Neolithic life.
>
>    And it was arguably a part of paleolithic life as well.  In terms
>    of regular consumption, dairy was (and is) a staple of
>    pastoralists' diet.

Assertion or argument does not constitute proof. Try back later when
some evidence is unearthed to support the bizarre absurdity
of milk-chugging, cheese-eating cavemen.