Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:37:10 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
> Ilya wrote:
> >>  Because some carbs are essential, and there is *no* means
> >>  for the body to recreate carbohydrate from fat
> >Not true - the are no means to convert fatty acids to glucose,
> >but fat (tryglycerides) also have a glycerol molecule, which
> >can be converted to glucose and depending on the type of
> >fat, can contribute a noticeable amount of energy. Fats
> >composed of very short chain fatty acids (such as found in
> >butter) ..
>  And animal body fat? adipose? brain, marrow? butter is dairy.
Sorry, not sure if I see your point here. I was merely saying
that part of fat CAN be converted to glucose. The amount is
relatively small and varies by type of fat. Are you trying to
say butter is non-paleo? Yes, but I was simply using it as
an example of a common food that is rich in short chain fatty
acids.

> >..may have 5-10% of their energy coming in the form
> >of glucose.
> glycerol, converted to glucose, what is also called gluconeogenesis.
> Such a small percentage of energy from the glycerol part of the
> fatty acids IMO doesn't change the picture much -
> even if the fat is there.
Again, I was merely pointing out that part of fats calories does
indeed come from conversion of glucose, which you said can't be
done. Are you now agreeing with me, but saying the amounts are too
small?

Also, this tread was started by somebody in ketosis, if I recall.
Even if fat contributes only a few grams of carbs per day
this may be a substantial addition for a person who only needs 40gm or so.

> Thanks for the low carb references (do you have exact postings URL?).
Not a URL - mailing lists (two of them, one a generic low carb list,
the other exercise while on low carb list)

> Btw.: nobody expects our anchestor humans to have stayed in
> in ketosis, right?
I guess I am a nobody then, seeming to remember at least some
hunter gatherers who do - Inuit, may be many others did too.

> Why torture the body if the right form of fuel is available
> in the form of fruit.
Available when? during one season a year only? So, what exactly,
if not animal foods, do you figure our ancestors ate in the middle
of winter? (Say those who lived in the snow covered parts of the world).
Digging up nutritious roots from under feet of snow all winter long?
And what do you mean torture - the main source of calories on these
diets should be fat. The adequate amount of protein on a keto
diet will also provide the needed minimal glucose (remember,
your body will turn a fairly high proportion of protein into
glucose whether you want it or not. If you eat enough protein
for your other needs you will also happen to get enough glucose,
if on a low carb diet). So, do you mind explaining exactly what
is wrong with ketosis?

Ilya