BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dr Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:20:18 -0400
Hello all,

Here is some real good news.

Pete
--
Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Human Factors

PRESS RELEASE

SAPERSTEIN, GOLDSTEIN, DEMCHAK & BALLER
A Professional Corporation
1300 Clay Street, 11th Floor
Oakland, CA  94612
510/763-9800

ELAINE B. FEINGOLD
Law Office of Elaine B. Feingold
1524 Scenic Avenue
Berkeley, CA  94708
510/848-8125

WELLS FARGO & COMPANY
Larry Haeg
Media
415/396-3070

                                                CONTACT:        Leni Doyle

510/763-9800

                                                                        Elaine
B. Feingold

510/848-8125

WELLS FARGO, CALIFORNIA COUNCIL OF THE BLIND
ANNOUNCE NATION'S FIRST PLAN FOR TALKING ATMS

        SAN FRANCISCO, CA  June 23, 1999 - Wells Fargo and the California
Council of the Blind announced today what they believe to be the first plan in
the nation for developing and installing talking ATMs.  The plan calls for Wells
Fargo to pilot 20 talking ATMs in the Bay Area and Los Angeles and San Diego
counties.  After the successful completion of the pilot next year, Wells Fargo
will begin to install a talking ATM at each of the more than 1,500 Wells Fargo
ATM locations in California.

        The technology, still in development, will give voice instruction to
users who cannot read information on an ATM screen, on how to deposit money,
withdraw cash, transfer funds and buy stamps.  The ATMs will have audio jacks to
deliver voice information privately to protect the security of blind and low
vision users.

        "Wells Fargo has shown a tremendous commitment to the blind and low
vision community, more than any other financial services company in the nation
that we know of," said Catherine Skivers, president of the California Council of
the Blind.  "They've worked hard with us to improve access to their ATMs for a
very important segment of customers."

        "Our number one priority is customer service.  We've been following the
development of this promising technology and we look forward to testing and
rolling out talking ATMs and to working closely with the California Council of
the Blind to improve ATM access for vision impaired customers," said Terri Dial,
Wells Fargo's head of retail banking in California.

        The California Council, with 46 chapters statewide, is an affiliate of
the American Council of the Blind.  Four blind individuals; the Disability
Rights Education and Defense Fund, Berkeley; the law firm of Saperstein,
Goldstein, Demchak & Baller, Oakland; and the Law Office of Elaine B. Feingold,
Berkeley; also participated in the planning.

        In California, Wells Fargo - a diversified financial services company -
provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgages, and consumer finance from
more than 1,300 stores and other distribution channels.