From:
Johnston Uli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:26:13 EDT

Dear List members:
Three weeks ago I asked a question regarding neuropathies due to celiac
disease.  Here are the results.  11 members responded.

6  thought there is a definite relation between CD and neuropathies due to
vitamin deficiencies, specifically vitamin B12.

1  suggested possibly other food allergies.

1  has diabetes and neuropathies but believes the neuropathies are due to
celiac and not due to diabetes.

and shoe inserts

1  suggested gallstones as a possible connection

1  suggested "leaky gut syndrome" as a possible problem.

Whatever the cause of the malabsorption (leaky gut syndrome, celiac, or other
food allergies), the problem is that even oral vitamins may not be sufficient
in correcting vitamin deficiencies.  My suggestion is that ALL CELIACS
monitor their blood for possible vitamin malabsorptions, especially Vitamin
B12 and D.  Hope this helps.

Uli Johnston