From:
"Peter M. Marino" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:30:11 EDT

Hell fellow celiacs.  I wrote about my allergies a few weeks ago and the
community was wonderful in giving me advice and support!  Thank you.  I began
to summarize but it will be a LOOOOOOOng project.  So here is the summary in
a nutshell with a few actual summarys at the end.  Once again...thank you. I
feel much better.  It just takes patience and experimenting and staying
positive.

Basically folks said, they are suffering too and we are never alone in
our allergy/intolerance problems.  That made me feel better actually.

Some suggested the shots...which is often.  Also Nasalcrom *which I love in
the Spring).  Some suggest honey, nettles, checking blood type, other foods
to avoid (like dairy)

here is some more...

Have your doc give you a prescription for Zyrtec. One little pill every
morning, and it changes a lot of peoples lives.

I take Actifed, which makes me tired but takes care of the sneezing and
watery eyes.  I have also been using honey for several years, and it has
lessened my symptoms.  Based on some reading I did, I take 1 T. honey
daily, starting about 1 month before allergy season.  The honey should be
local and raw if possible.

We are all tired of being so sensitive. I took shots years ago and it
helped..I do not get as bad a reaction in May and worse in Sept due to
the mold count when the trees start shedding their leaves. Headachey,
running nose, aches and pains and general malaise....I have the same
allergies as you do. Milk and eggs and citrus among other things. Makes
it hard to find something to eat, especially breakfast.

I take Allegra and it does a fairly good job keeping them in check. Both
Allegra and Claritin (Regular not "D") are gluten free, should your allergist
want to try one of them.

Are you blood type O negative?, I am....the pits...according to Eat Right for
Your Blood Type Book & website, ....O neg has less tolerance for grains,
legumes and dairy than O positives do.  All I can suggest is to try to avoid
as many toxins and allergens as possible...for me it is overload that nails
me....look at everything...soap, shampoo, cleaning products, theater
stuff...makeup....mold, dust, dust mites, get the best pollen mask you can
find and wear it...you reach a point where you just don't give a damn what
someone thinks about your mouth being covered.

I have no personal experience with this, but I understand that many people
have been helped with the Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique.  You can
find info at www.naet.com.  It lists many practitioners in the NYC area.

I happened to be listening to the Diane Reems (sp) morning program one day,
the topic was allergies.  The government expert on allergies was listing the
newest drugs guarenteed to help, and also some of their dreadful side
effects.  During the 'call-in' portion of the program a young college student
called --- said he was really suffering during that summer when he worked in
the wheat fields to earn money for the next term.  As he sneezed and coughed
an old man came up to him and said ---- make a tea out of those nettle leaves
and drink a cup full in the morning and one later in the day --- the student
calimed it worked as an instant cure for him.........  I was in the local
health food store within 20 seconds, bought the nettle, took three
immediately - voilla, it worked .  I still use the nettle during the fall
ragweed season.  I no longer am alergic to cats, feathers, dogs, dust,
flowers, grasses, carpeting, get the picture?  Without the nettle ragweed is
still a major problem, but one nettle capsule brings immediate relief.

Two weeks ago I heard Dr.  Fasano (from the Celiac Research Project at U.  of
Md.)  say that allergists were missing the boat with their skin tests for
food sensitivities relating to digestive tract symptoms.  He said that the
foods could cause nasal, skin, respiratory distress, but there was no known
link between food allergies (not intolerances such as lactose and gluten) and
gastro symptoms.  I'm just passing this along so you can have the info handy
if the allergise wants to "blame" your problems on food allergies.  I know
someone wouldn't have a hard time trying to convince my husband that food
allergies were the problems.!!

I take vitamin B5 and Qucertin for allergies.  You could also try Provex from
Melaleuca.

here are titles to two books that I really found helpful in overcoming some
of the other allergies I had.  They are available at the Library or any
health food store - Borders etc......

       1.    Optimal Wellness      Ralph Golan, M.D.
                                   Ballantine Books  l995

       2.    Prescription for
             Nutrituinal Healing   James F. Balch, M.D.
                                   Phyllis A. Balch, M.D.
                                   Avery Publishing  l997

Yesterday is the past,
Tomorrow is the future,