From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 18:19:58 -0500

--Response from Mary in NE , I have followed this area of study as a
customer of organic growers, a hog/corn/beans farmer, hobby gardener and
home economist. Here are some things to consider. (I can elaborate if
someone has questions or other thoughts to ponder.) In my opinion, we
(as a celiac organization or individuals) should become informed
supporters of prudent, ethical genetic engineering research and
adoption. Those of us with a genetic based disease may have much to gain
from the research. We can take steps to make our disease-based concerns
known to those prominent in the field. We could encourage grain
development leading to a "grain" without protein fractions that trigger
adverse immune responses. We could encourage research that would lead to
"turning off" the celiac genetic marker of DNA. We could encourage
improved labeling, so all sources of ingredients are named. We could
become stockholders of companies involved in positive genetic
engineering efforts. We can start our own companies. We could express
our concerns and fears. We can help support advances in genetic
engineering research with positive social (health) ramifications.
Remember the potato famine in Ireland was created when farmers limited
the potato crop to only one wonderful variety, that when hit with a
blight resulted in devastating crop losses and death. (Everyone wanted
to plant the "best" variety.) Most farmers, love the land, are well
educated stewards of the land, proud of providing us with the most
sanitary, high quality and abundant food supply in the world. Remember,
less than 3% of Americans are farmers. A smaller percent of the American
family income goes to buy food than anywhere else in the world. We can
work with the farmer and their commodity groups so they are aware of our
special needs and concerns. Our challenge is to continue to increase the
breadth of positive alliances throughout the food industry.

--I agree with your position about genetically modified foods, but
disagree with lobbying with groups with food allergies. I believe that
that would create more confusion about the GF diet, and it's hard enough
to explain.

Just my opinion.
Pat

--Janet, I agree wholeheartedly. I am new to CD, being diagnosed in
December. What can we do as a group or as individuals? Aggie, Auburn, NY

--Interesting letter you forwarded. this really worries me. is there
really anything we can do? I am interested in helping!

Andrea, WACSSG

--Thanks for all the positive ways this issue can be addressed! Carole,
Houston

--Can I take this opportunity to add my two penn'orth to this debate.
Like Cindy, I have enough background to see many potential problems BUT
I believe there is a much more important issue at stake - the issue of
whether we have freedom of choice or not. I cannot buy goods containing
soya grown in the US which are free of Genetically Modified soya, as the
US food industry (DELIBERATELY it appears) mixes non-GM with GM. You are
all part of a gigantic research project, willing or not. Over here such
strong feelings have been aroused (partly due to BSE - another similar
bit of "completely safe" meddling caused that) that most big players in
the food industry are now removing all GM foods from their shelves and
working hard to ensure no GM material ever gets in. This has had the
effect of converting one Canadian distributer over to distributing only
Non-GM soya (they have lost big contracts in Europe).

Public pressure can do a lot to make this sort of thing happen but it
must be applied while this thing is small
enough to be stopped.

Coeliacs have another big stake in this issue. How long before gluten is
introduced into all manner of foods? We
have sliced ham stabilised by wheat starch on sale here - how about
genetically modified pork with the gluten and
starch built in? Or rather more likely, corn and rice with high wheat
gluten contents for use in commercial baking?

No this one need proper controls and the US is the major place that
demands for those controls must come from, as it is the US which has the
controlling ownership of nearly all these companies.

Finally, don't fall for the "feeding the world's hungry" line. We could
do that NOW. It is debt that starves
people not lack of food (see the bottom of my sign-off)

Finally I must say that this is my own personal view and that my
employer might well disagree - some of my fellow
employees would do so vehemently.

Regards, David in UK

--Joanne wrote: Thanks for sharing Cindy's comments. I'm somewhat
dismayed by Mary's response. I think Mary lacks some of the reality that
is driven by money. I really don't want someone fooling around with my
DNA. Our diversity depends naturally on genetic mutation -- which is a
chaotic statistical function. Customizing that chaos has implications we
haven't thought of.

I'm reminded of a story about little bugs. These bugs liked to eat oil,
so the smart scientists decided to salt oil spills and illegal dumping
along the roadside near Times Beach with these bugs to eat up the oil.
Unfortunately, these smart scientists didn't realize that the road
surface itself was a composite of oil and these little bugs ate up the
road.

--Sara in Houston wrote, I hope there can be a large enough outcry from
the national and international populations that the experiments with
genetically-engineered foods don't work their way into the commercial
food market without some prior consideration to (a) continued
availability of non-altered foods, (b) product labeling, in layman's
terms, to differentiate "altered" ingredients from non-altered
ingredients (c) the consequences of altered foods on the
health of the population as a whole - I'm sure the population with CD
would not be the only people adversely impacted by genetically altered
foods in the marketplace.

--I'm with you all the way. From Lill

--Thanks for the information on this problem. I think it's very scary! I
have relatives with life-threatening allergies. They don't take it
seriously, but it sure has me worried! Suzanne

--Yes, I expected this {re Dolly's old cells) too. It has been well
demonstrated that cells have a predetermined number of times they will
be able to divide, and then they simply die out. This can be changed,
sometimes substantially, notably with vitamin E.

Janet, I agree wholeheartedly with this letter. And a year ago I'd have
thought it was neoluddite ramblings. -vance

--There is a way to protest and avoid GMO's (genetically modified
organisms): BUY ORGANIC produce and organically raised meats and dairy
products. Foods raised and sold by the California Organic Standards
cannot be tainted by GMO's, as well as pesticides, herbicides,
antibiotics, etc...

I wrote a fairly long post about this, but decided to erase it and send
this URL instead. It covers all the bases.
http://www.ccof.org/index.htm Click on their link "Urgent Message on
Genetic Engineering in Foods". This doesn't affect just people with
celiac disease. It affects the entire planet.

Gwynneth in Boston

Janet in Houston
Celiacs Helping Celiacs