From:
"Maria L. Heigl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 22:35:42 +0200

Hello everyone,

I'd like to support David Walland's comments on the issue and add the
following:

It is certainly necessary to demand that all foods containing
genetically modified products should be labelled. There is however a
major problem which is of particular interest to coeliacs. As David has
already pointed out GM and normal soy are mixed and it is difficult to
find supplies of (garanteed) GM-free soy. European regulations require
GM products to be labelled and in Europe many people prefer not to buy
GM foods. In the case of soy-products this has brought food
manufacturers to replace soy products by other products. We find that
many products which contained soy proteins or other soy products now
contain wheat or other gluten sources. This is certainly not in the
interest of coeliacs. If there is no GM-free soy available many food
manufacturers will avoid soy altogether. A solution could be to
establish lines of supplies for GM-free foodstuffs and appropriate
controls.

Maria Heigl, Amsterdam (The Netherlands)