From:
Barbara Parkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 21:10:13 -0600

Hi List,

Wow! I got so many useful replies to my question about hand cream that I
decided to summarize right away and follow-up with more later if needed.
You are a great bunch of people!  Thanks, Barbara

From Heidi:
>I don't know about the Ceteryl part of the Alchohol, but try using
>Eucerin.  It's supposed to be pretty hypo-allergenic.  I use it on my
>celiac daughter 15 m/o who has eczema.  Also try Aquefor (you put it on
>first) which is another Eucerin product.  These two things together
>will cost about $30.00 but they're well worth it.

From Mary:
> I had the same problem. My dermatologist (NYU Medical center) came
> up with a suggestion that floored me: plain old Crisco.
>Turns out that Crisco is what famous plastic surgeons recommend
>to all their patients - I actually looked it up in several books,
>including "Everything you  always wanted to know about facelifts." Of
>course, they simply give them little pots of a "special softening
>cream" without telling them what it is, thus preserving intact their
>prestige and the illusions of their patients.
>     I have used it ever since the weather turned cold. It works like
>a charm, and is absolutely GF. Unlikely as it may sound, it really
>works.
>P.S. Only the plain version, of course. It is totally odorless and
>tasteless. Excellent on chapped lips, too.

From T (who forwarded a previous summary on Cetylalcohol):
> 1. Cetylalcohol is a synthetic alcohol with 16 carbon atoms
> (methylalcohol has 1 and ethylalcohol which is present in alcoholic
> beverages has 2). No link with gluten!!!
> F.W. Janssen, Zutphen, The Netherlands
>
> 2. Cetyl Alcohol (also called Alcohol cetylicus, palmityl alcohol,
> Hexadecan-1-ol) is used in the paharmaceutical industry as a coating
> agent, emulsifying agent and stiffening agent. Its also used a lot in
> cosmetics (especially lotions, creams and ointments.) Its use in cosmetics is
> widespread because it is emollient and absorbes water and helps emulsify
> mixtures. It also makes products more stable and improves their texture.
> It helps to lubricate and soften the skin. It is manufactured from fatty
> acids, usually those fom coconut oil or tallow. I figure it would most
> probably be GF but it may be best to check with the product manufacturer.
>
> 3. Merck Index says it is a liquid alcohol made from spermaceti ("a
> waxy solid obtained from the oil of cetaceans and esp. sperm whales and used
> in ointments, cosmetics, and candles"). I would be really surprised if it
> comes into contact with gluten any time during its manufacture, unless a
> worker drops a sandwich into a vat.... But Merck also mentions that some
> cetyl alcohol is made in a different way by various chemical synthesis
> methods (without hurting any whales in the process... i.e., not from
> spermaceti). I would still be surprised if gluten contamination would be
> a problem with it, since gluten is a grain protein and really wouldn't  be
> likely to be used in such a synthesis. At least not in any one that I ever
> studied.

From Olivia:
> I have called around looking for a good hand lotion/body lotion
>and the only manufacturer that would give me definitive information was Mennen
>Baby Magic baby lotion.  They told me that all their Baby Magic products are
>gluten free.  Since these are so readily available (i.e. you don't have to go
>to the health food store) this is the lotion I have been using.  I haven't had
>any adverse reaction to it (and I have sensitive skin) and it seems to work
>about as well as anything else on my dry skin.

From Rosalie:
>     Any lotion from the HFS is usually good. Read all labels. Ecco
>Bella is a good lotion and so is Camocare lotion.
>A bit more expensive but it doesn't seem to have anything in it but
>natural herbs and oils.  Rosalie NJ

From Susan:
>     I was having trouble with some skin products last year and found that
>there are products that do not contain gluten.  The one that I use is Curel.
>I have had no reaction and recommend the product.

From Ann:
>Work from the inside out--take an EFA supplement (essential fatty
>acids)--also are you dealing with leaky gut?  If you're not digesting
>properly, it WILL show up in your skin.  Let me know if you need more
>info

From Jessie:
>I have been using Neutrogena Emulsion Norwegian Formula for years.  I do
>not currently have the box my 2 bottles came in, so I cannot vouch for the
>ingredients.  You might look at this as a replacement.

From Aimee:
>I posted on lotions and got a recommendation for Neutrogena but there are
>many other >suggestions to come. hang in there.

From Diane:
>Call the company. It was listed as gluten-free the last time that I checked,
>but they may have changed formulas.

From Barbara again:
I did call the company (after I posted) and talked to  Lucy at their facial
products number (1-800-582-4048).  She said she would forward my question
to Nutrogena research department and invited me to call back for an answer
in 4 weeks.  I also talked to a Dave at the hand cream division
(1-800-217-1136) and he said that Nutrogena hand cream is listed as "Safe
for Celiacs,"  but could offer no details about the basic ingredients used
or the manufacturing process.

Regarding this note which appeared at the end of my original post:
> * Please provide references to back up claims of a product being GF or
> not GF *

I'm sorry, but I have no references other than my own experience.  I
apologize to the Nutrogena company and to this list if my question about
the GF status of Nutrogena sounded like a claim.  Thanks again List.

Barbara Parkman