BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Pete ." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 21:21:41 -0400
Hello all,

Thank you for the great letters.  I had not mentioned the problem of locating
the bar code on the package as being a problem, since I was told that this unit
has one of those scanners that "wraps around the item" and locates the bar code
itself.  Of course if the item is small and you have your hand wrapped around
the item holding it, then there could be a problem of your hand blocking the bar
code. <Grin> I, too, have the frustration with stores that continually change
products from one part of the store to another. (Tongue in cheek) Maybe, we
could sue them as an ADA violation.  <Grin>  Seriously, I believe "talking
signs" can solve alot of these problems.  In San Francisco at their new library
they have "talking signs" on the "stacks" so you can find the stack where your
book should be.  To me "LOOKING FOR SOLUTIONS" to problems is one of my favorite
activities. There is a solution to almost every problem, it just takes people
willing to look for it and then to follow thru.

Pete