From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:03:35 -0700
On 8 Aug 99, at 10:48, Jerry Rasmussen wrote:

> Has anyone had success getting SyGate to work with two PCs and the cable
> modem connected to a hub.

> The ISP tech installed the Com21 cable modem on the uplink port of my
> Linksys 10/100 ethernet hub.  He configured one PC with an IP address, one
> gateway address and two DNS addresses.

  This configuration would allow any of your PCs to talk directly to the cable
modem, but only if it has an IP address to do so.  The point of using SyGate is
to get around that requirement.

  Using a gateway product like SyGate means that you have two "sets" of IP
addresses; an "internal" set which your PCs use to talk to each other
locally, and an "external" set that is used with the cable modem and the
outside world.
  The SyGate PC needs to have TWO addresses, one in each set.

  In theory, you can run both sets across a single hub.  In practice, though,
there are several "grey areas" where this can get you into trouble.  Also,
the SyGate PC needs two addresses; some OSes, especially WIndows, may not let
you assign two addresses to a single NIC.

  The *preferred* approach, then, is to structure the two "sets" of addresses
as physically separate networks, where the gateway PC is connected to both;
this will require a second NIC in that machine.  [I suggest using two
different makes/models of NIC, to help ensure that you do not get their
configurations reveresed.]

David G

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html