NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kathy C. Shepard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:22:39 -0500
Date:    Tue, 8.Dec.1998
From:    Kathy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Galaxy Foods; Veggie Slices

I have been using Veggie Slices for several months.  The ingredients list casein but tried it anyway
since some sources of casein are non-dairy.  I had had no problems.

Last week we were on vacation in another state and bought Veggie Slices. I had a severe reaction.
After checking every single thing I had eaten in the past 24 hours (fixed everything in the condo)
finally checked the Veggie Slices.  Gasp!  This time it said "Casein (a dried milk protein)!"

Well that's what I get for not reading the labels each and every time.

OK so I wrote to Galaxy Foods and here is their response:

---
Our Veggie Slices are a vegetarian product, not a vegan product.  If you are looking for dairy-
free,  casein-free products, please try our Soymage products which are available in most healthfood
stores under the Soyco Foods label.  We also make Tofu Slices which are dairy-free, and our Veggie
Milk which will be out soon
is also dairy-free.
---

We don't have a health food store in our town.  The nearest one is over 60 miles away.  Has anyone
used the Soymage products?  How do they taste?  Do they "act" like cheese?  i.e., melt in a grilled
cheese sandwich.

This is a great list!  Thanks for any information you can provide.

Kathy