RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:55:49 -0700
My interpretation of the article is that:

natural hybridization is an "engine" that drives speciation.

The article was not aimed directly at "artificial" hybridization.
My comment -- an opinion, subjective -- would be that the article
may suggest that artificial hybridization could drive (and perhaps
accelerate) the natural speciation process, in some cases. However,
not all artificial hybridization would be relevant -- only those
changes that improve evolutionary fitness, would be important
in the long-term. And we know that many modern plant hybrids don't
last, long-term, in the wild -- their seedling descendants
often revert (in a few generations) to a "wild" form.

Tom Billings